Hi! I am Elena. I am associate professor in CSCW and Digital Collaboration at the Norwegian University of Science an Technology (NTNU), in Trondheim, Norway. Here is my NTNU profile.
The goal of my research is to promote a research agenda on environmentally sustainable digital innovation in public and private organizations.
My main research interests are:
- data science in practice;
- sociotechnical challenges of implementing and maintaining digital platforms and information infrastructures;
- environmentally sustainable infrastructures (Green IS);
- algorithmic knowing (knowing with algorithms and Big Data);
- empirical research methods to study infrastructures and platforms.
My research is based on an interpretive research philosophy. I rely on a portfolio of qualitative methodologies inspired by ethnography to understand how people deal with technology as part of their daily work. I adopt a use-centered approach for exploring how digital systems can better support sustainable design and development.
I have a PhD in Information Systems from NTNU, based on a trans-disciplinary and empirical analysis of digital infrastructures for environmental risk assessment during oil and gas operations. I also have a MSc in computer engineering from the University of Modena and Reggio Emilia (Italy).
Today, my main academic field is Information Systems, but I enjoy taking lengthy detours in Computer-Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW), Science and Technology Studies (STS), and Participatory Design (PD).